Monday, April 28, 2008

Sometimes its hard to go back to site

I won't lie. I've gotten used to being in Kombo with friends and beaches and hot showers and cold air conditioning. But today I really must go back to site to try to get back to work. My post from April 15 might seem a little grim and you might be thinking that I'm depressed or downtrodden. But I am not. I'm excited to get back to work. There are many challenges in Peace Corps but those are part of what makes this experience so amazing. Challenging myself.

I helped out at IST last week especially with the beekeeping and composting components. The bees here are very different from those at my site. Its probably because we were working at Sifoe Beekeeping Kaafo and National Beekeeping Association of The Gambia where the colonies are more used to being disturbed. I only got stung a few times through my suit even though I led three groups on three separate nights. Training people about keeping bees has been very rewarding for me. It's a little easier when they are all English-speakers like it was with my fellow PCVs. I hope that I can continue to work with beekeeping and development after Peace Corps is finished. I feel like it is a very sustainable practice and that many people in developing countries can benefit economically from it: The farmers from the pollination, the beekeepers from the honey. Working in other people's established apiaries can be difficult though because I am a visitor there and have certain opinions about management that the operators might not share.

Hanging out in Kombo is so weird after being at site. The Stodge (our Transit House in Fajara) is the closest I've been to a fraternity house atmosphere in a very long time. It has enough beds for 40 people, a very messy kitchen, and an entertainment center. Volunteers from all over the country come there when they need a break from site so debauchery ensues. Late nights, beer drinking, loud music. I might have thought that it wouldn't be a very attractive environment but I have to admit that I actually enjoy being there. I am quite close with many of my fellow Volunteers. Also, PCVs get to know one another quickly because of the nature of our lives. Someone you've never met before might become your cooking partner or fall asleep on you watching a movie. Peace Corps can be sort of frustrating so we depend on one another to help us cope and relax. Also, there is an extensive bootleg collection of dvds so I got to watch the very excellent No Country For Old Men which was filmed in New Mexico. It made me homesick in a very pleasing sort of way. I miss that place so much and the scenery in that film reminded me of so many places that I have loved.

So I hope that you are all well. I have received a few comments from people I don't even know which I am very happy about. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Its probably time to get sowing seeds in America and I hope that you are each planting a few.

I've posted some photographs at http://picasaweb.google.com/knucklewalking/TheGambia

Also, my brother and his wife are set to have a baby in the next 2-3 weeks. I wish them success and happiness. My village is very happy for them and we will slaughter a goat to celebrate the occasion.

Kaira,
Matt